Sunday, December 7, 2014

Travel Day 3 Amigos

     Deer. Oh Deer. Oh my Deer! No that is not a typo, and I don't mean my wife. I mean the 4 legged kind. Well most of them had 4 legs, or at least I am certain they started out with 4 legs. I had no iDeer there were so many different kinds of deer. Today we saw short deer, tall deer, round deer, flat deer, half deer, whole deer, splat deer, swole deer, rotten deer, bloated deer, eaten deer, exploded deer, disintegrated deer, and parts of deer. BUT no where along the way did we see a live deer. My point being, if YOU are a deer, do not live in or around the Utah/Wyoming region. It could be hazardous to your health.

     I will say this though, apparently those little prong horns are much smarter and/or faster than deer. We saw hundreds of those little miniature gazelle wannabe's and not no where did we ever see even part of one splattered down the high way. They also seem to be very sociable creatures. We often saw them hanging out with herds of horses and cows. Or maybe they are confused and having an identity crisis. Either way, much smarter than deer! and Grizz!...Spaz-O-matic!

     Today was a great and beautiful day for traveling. As we pulled out of Ogden Utah the sun had broken over the mountains and the sun was shining. I don't think I have ever seen bluer skies. Those deep blue skies stayed with us throughout the day, with the exception of a few stray cotton balls that floated by.

     After driving through Utah, I can certainly understand why people live there. Absolutely gorgeous!!! The entire trip we were enveloped in rolling hills, snow capped mountains, and jagged canyons.  All along the way the landscape was decorated with impressive and often massive rock formations. We saw ledges jutting out of canyon walls, boulders stacked in ways that only God could explain, and what I can only describe as stone statues that looked like they were extracted from straight down deep within the earth's core. It felt like I was driving straight through from one jig saw puzzle to the next. However WE could not live there because I never saw a Target or anything that even resembled a mall.

     Next up we crossed over into Wyoming. I think the Wy comes from Why in the hell would anybody live here. Miles and miles filled with acres and acres of pure vast nothingness. I promise you i am not exaggerating!  Definitely cowboy country. I think that's all that lives here 1 cow and a boy.

     Throughout the day along with the nothingness, God's canvas, and the road kill we did see numerous farms. Of course we saw many many more steak farms, as well as a few wool farms. I always wondered how they grew those socks. We also saw a few farms that raised cowboy transportation. Then in Wyoming there were plenty of tumbleweed farms. Felt like I was back in Moses Lake, only slightly more elevated. I also saw a horse that was lost. Or at least I am pretty sure he was lost. Miles and miles of nothing and 1 lone horse standing all alone. Or maybe he was just socially awkward. I have worked with a few people like that.

     I also learned that in Wyoming the fence builders don't know how to build corners. Miles and miles or straight fences lined up, one behind the other, and none of them connected. No wonder so many deer get hit. The fences don't connect to keep them in. Duhhhhhhh!

     As for the dogs... Well they are actually getting better. Are they annoying? Yes! But then again they are breathing. I do think they are getting the hang of this traveling. Or maybe we humans are just getting the hang of traveling with dogs. Ol' Spaz-O-matic Griz has not peed the floor today, but the night is young. I do think he is getting a little more nervous than normal because he knows we hit Nebraska tomorrow. Just saying...I am sure there are some wide open corn fields he would love to explore.  Hailey said I couldn't leave him. My response was between Grizz, Shelby and her, one of them wasn't making it out of Nebraska.

     At the end of the day I have learned you just have to prepare properly for a road trip with  my family. The first thing you must pack is your sense of humor and leave your sense of urgency behind. I mean only while traveling with my wife and daughter do you stop for a potty break 15 minutes before you reach the hotel. Really?!?!? Final destination in sight, but wait let's first stop and explore another grimy, grungy public potty and buy one more souvenir.

     Seriously though, we are all doing well and making great time. No rush, no stress (well not much) and cooperative weather. Tomorrow we head out rolling towards Grand Island Nebraska. Watch out Grizz...


No comments:

Post a Comment