Thursday, December 11, 2014

Travelog Day 7 - The trip is over; the journey begins!

     You really don't know how happy I am that this is the last day of the travelog! Not that the blog is ending, but that this trip is over. Holy rollie pollie, 7 days is a lot of driving. Even though this has been a pretty low stress, easy paced trip, it takes its toll. Of course today being the last day was the day that everything was off, from late start, to traffic, to road construction, to wrong turns. You name it, it happened today, BUT we made it here safely! And in case I didn't tell you, I am sooooo glad this trip is done! In fact it is so done, that I am hiring a chauffeur for the rest of the year. I am tired of driving! 

     Of course our morning started out with the daily Starbucks google search. Results not favorable. Closest one 40 miles. Bobbi's response, "how do they live without Starbucks?". I couldn't help but laugh. To her credit though, she sucked it up like a good soldier and there was no crisis. She went and got her a drip coffee and red bull! No pouting required. Then after topping off both fuel tanks we were off to Chattanooga!

     We finished up across southern Illinois, which I must say is quite beautiful. Almost as gorgeous as Missouri. Plenty of rolling hills and lush farm land. I still cant help but get that putrid taste of vomit in my mouth though. Every time I think Illinois I see Obama. Why of Why didn't they keep him??? Anyway, moving one before I get depressed and want to denounce my citizenship, we then cut across the tip of Kentucky. That is always a pleasure to drive through. They don't call it Kentucky blue grass for nothing. Finally we dropped down into our new home state of Tennessee! 

     As we drove through that entire region we started to get more into larger forests. Driving along looking through the spindly appendages of the naked trees  I was enjoying the variety. Noticing the elm, gum, oak, and poplar with a blend of pines mixed among them reminded me of home. Especially after living in that evergreen state for a while. Then something else caught my eye. A large mass of leaves balled in the top of the limbs. Yes, the nest of the elusive fuzzy tailed tree rat. Also known as the squirrel.

     I was then flooded with some of the fondest memories of my childhood. Squirrel hunting with my dad and pap-paw. My mind returned to trips floating Tranter's creek in an old john boat and hiking the forest shaking vines. I was typically the last to see the squirrels, mainly because I was busy looking at everything else, but they usually let me take the first shot. I'd give anything to drift that creek one more time with my pap-paw. I miss that old man!

     Ok that just got sad. Moving on...The last two days I have noticed several large sections of guardrail completely destroyed along the highway. I am not talking a little dented up here. These sections, often 50-100 long, looked they were the collateral damage of a Decepticon and Autobot battle scene.  As I passed, I couldn't help but say a little prayer for whomever was involved in each of those tragedies.

     Around lunch time my wife sees a sign for Chic-Fil-A and could not control herself. Without even realizing it the jeep automatically veered toward the off ramp and away she went. Unfortunately I was following her in the 26' long moving truck with her car on a trailer behind me. Why is that important you may ask? Because good ol' Chic-Fil-Ayyyyyyyyy was a mile into town, through the mall parking lot. Oh and did you know it is prime Christmas shopping season? It is not even safe to drive a compact car in the mall parking lot right now. As I step out of the truck I hear "I love you". I admit it was good, but jeeesh louise every dang shopper in that mall was at Chic-Fil-A. I am guessing there were close to 42 thousand people in there. Or at least it felt like it. Did I mention it was good!?!?

     Back on the road I saw another sign for an Adult Super Store. This one advertised for Men and Women, but is said nothing about couples. I guess you can buy a super man or woman but they don't carry matching sets like the other store. I am really not sure about these stores. Oh but speaking of Super man, we passed an exit to a town called Metropolis. The sign stated that had a huge Super Man Statue! I didn't see the sign until we were passing it! Bummmmmer! I REALLY wanted to see that statue!

     Not long into Tennessee we hit Nashville. It looked quite impressive as the skyline came into view. I could smell country music in the air. But we are not going to talk about Nashville, or the stop we made in Nashville, or the scenic tour of the Nashville ghetto we took.  Nuff said. Moving on...

     Once on the other side of the ghetto, FINALLY back on the highway, we hit a rolling parking lot. I mean it stopped, traffic backed up for miles as far as you could see. The sign warned of pothole patching up ahead. This slow rolling snail pace super stall crawl crept on for miles. Suddenly the traffic opened up, spread out and everyone was off. Never did see the first pothole patching crew, nor any other dang sign of construction workers. Everyone slowed down to a tortoise pace for nothing.

     I did notice something a little ironic today. Bare with me as I reminisce a bit. It was about 27 years ago I started my firefighting career as a young teen following in my dads footsteps. I started with the Pactolus Rural Volunteer Fire Department. It was station number 24. Today my new career in Industrial Firefighting brings us back closer to our family in our new home in Chattanooga. It was highway 24 that carried us into Tennessee all the way to Chattanooga. I think that is just kinda cool!

     Throughout this travelog I have been a bit harsh on the Midwest. Please know I meant no disrespect to anyone or any of the states we had the pleasure of passing through. I know that each and every mile we traveled was a wonderful creation of God and each one beautiful in its own way. With each serving its own purpose in His plan, just as every person living there. For that I am grateful. I was just transposing the twisted reality that exists only in my head. With 7 days of driving I had to laugh so I wouldn't cry. I am truly thankful for having been blessed with the opportunity to pass through every state we did on our cross country journey!

     Now that we are home, we have to find our new temporary home. Apartment searching begins tomorrow.  Oh joy! From over 2000 square feet to an apartment. But we will survive!!! The plan is to hopefully get an apartment for 3 months to give our home time to sell. Then we can start the process of finding our permanent home to buy. With that being said, the blog will slow down now. I do plan to keep you all abreast of our journey and adjustments. So stay tuned.

















1 comment: