Thursday, December 11, 2014

Travelog 6.5 an Addendum

     I realized after I posted last nights travelog, I had forgotten an important part. The most significant thing that happened yesterday.

     About 3 or so hours into our journey we had to make an unscheduled stop at a rest stop. Bobbi was having a minor issue with the jeep that I needed to take care. Of course I wasn't happy about this annoyance, as it was slowing me down, but it was just one of those things.

     While I am in the restroom waiting in line, a kid comes up to me and says "excuse me sir, how long is it to downtown St. Louis?" I call him a kid but he was a young man in his early twenties. I explained I was somewhere between Washington and Chattanooga and had no earthly idea. We then spoke briefly of our travels. He then leaves to find the answer to his question.

     As I am finishing up I hear him come back in talking on the phone. He has discovered it is 45 minutes to St. Louis and is explaining to someone on the phone something about a tire blowing out and a gas light coming on. I really pay it no attention, wash up and leave. He comes out after me and starts to approach as I am waiting for the girls. Still on the phone he says "hold on dad" and drops the phone. With a somewhat panicked and frazzled  look on his face he starts with "I'm sorry sir, but can I ask you a huge favor?"

     He then starts with his story. I admit my BS meter automatically pegged. I stood with completely closed off body language, arms crossed and doubt all over my face. He proceeds to tell me about his grandfather that had been taken to the hospital in St. Louis and he was trying to make it there. He had bought a car to get back and forth to work on, and on the way here his tire blew. He got that fixed only for his gas light to come on next. He made it to a gas station but his debit card popped up insufficient funds as the tire repair had wiped him out. The gas station attendant told him the Missouri DOT would be at this rest stop and maybe they could help him. They were not there. So as he finishes up his story he had a look of complete desperation on his face and says "I'm sorry but I don't know what else to do but ask".

     Something changed in my heart. I was not closed off. I remember what it was like wishing I could get back to see my grandfather as he was dying a few years back. Something was different about this kid. As I pulled out my wallet I told him I only had $20 cash on me, but it would get him where he needed to go. I thought he was going to cry. He shoved his hand forward to shake mine, giving me his full name and immediately asked how he could pay me back. I placed the $20 in his hand and told him to just return the favor to someone else one day.  His next response was "are you serious?" I shook his hand and wished him God's blessings, sending him on his way.

     Did I get taken for $20? Maybe, but I don't think so. In fact I know not. Don't get me wrong, I am the worlds biggest skeptic. We are surrounded by a world where people make a living as beggars, all with many different circumstances. I am not saying they are all a fraud, but we can't help but have that thought every time we see a "homeless" person or a "needy" person. I am always skeptical when I see them holding a sign or a cup. In fact it is always my first thought. I rarely ever help them. I can't help it, the world we live in has made me that way. Is that the good Christian thing to do? No absolutely not, but again I can't help it. But I do try to listen to my heart. If my heart tells me to help them I do.

     We were not supposed to be at that rest stop at that time, but we were. Due to a late start, rain slowing us down and an unexpected jeep issue we had stopped at that particular rest stop at that precise time. It was for a reason bigger than we initially understood. That young man needed an angel. There was not one around so God sent me. 

     If you let Jesus sit on the throne of your heart, you cannot go wrong with listening to it. He will always tell you the right thing to do. The trick is learning how to listen to it and let Him guide you. It takes time, and prayer but Jesus is always willing to sit on the throne of your heart. All you have to do is invite him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment